mcgillOn the morning of September 16, 1944, Winston Churchill met briefly with the British Chiefs of Staff prior to the second and final plenary session of the Second Quebec Conference. At the meeting that was held at the Citadel and began at noon, the Combined Chiefs of Staff presented their final report of the conference to Churchill and President Franklin Roosevelt. The session adjourned at 1:30 PM and Churchill, Roosevelt, and the chiefs of staff went to terrace for photographs. Before the luncheon which began 15 minutes later Churchill presented Canadian prime minister William Lyon Mackenzie King with a model of the invasion equipment that had been used at Normandy. The luncheon was  given by the Governor-General and Princess Alice for Churchill and his wife Clementine, Roosevelt, Mackenzie King, and Anthony Eden (Foreign Secretary). At 3:15 PM on the terrace of the Citadel, Chancellor Morris W. Wilson and a party of faculty from McGill University conferred honorary LL.D. degrees on Churchill and Roosevelt, who along with the others had donned academic regalia for the occasion. On receiving their degrees Roosevelt spoke very briefly, while Churchill made “impassioned” remarks about Anglo-American friendship. The two speeches were almost “drowned by the hum of movie cameras.”  Lord Athlone, the governor-general, also spoke and commented that both he and Churchill had been educated “by Degrees.” The short ceremony was followed by a joint press conference by Churchill, Roosevelt, and Mackenize King, also on the terrace, for the 150 press correspondents that were present. The American president spoke first followed by Churchill whose impromptu remarks were “truly remarkable for [their] force and eloquence.” At 5:30 PM Churchill was joined by Princess Alice and Clementine Churchill as he went to Roosevelt’s quarters in the Citadel to say good-bye as the president was about to depart Quebec. During the day Churchill received “a most cold message” from King George VI in reply to Churchill’s request for “a fraternal greeting” to the Duke of Windsor who the prime minister was to see at Hyde Park in two days. Churchill dictated a “crushing reply” but thought better of it and sent a more conciliatory message to the King.